Monday, January 10, 2011

I Finally Did It.

I severed the ties of Kyson and his best friend. It was an unhealthy relationship. One that had gone on far too long. I showed no remorse. Snip, snip. I cut the tip off his binky.



I regretted it 3 hours later as I was trying to soothe a broken heart. Heartbroken is a mild term for what we endured over the next 24 hours. Without his "bink" he had nothing to lull him into the blissful state of sleep. By 1:00 in the morning, I was desperately shoving the mangled binky into his mouth with no result. Instead, he screamed and mourned the fate of his beloved friend. I did feel rather guilty. But I knew I wasn't strong enough to just hide it from him. It had to be permanantly damaged or the ties would never be severed.....from Kyson or me. I loved the "bink" almost as much as he did. It had an instantaneous effect on him. From screeching to small whimpers. From wide awake to heavy-lidded drowsiness. Yes, I loved it too.



Well. At any rate, it's done for. And since we've made it through 2 days of a mangled binky, I will venture to say that progress has been made. The crying is not as long nor as dramatic. The sleeping is still not great but it is being achieved. But I have to be honest. He is still sleeping with his friend. Although he can't suck on it any more he still uses it. So my question is this, does it count as breaking him of the binky if he still puts it in his mouth but doesn't suck on it? I can't really be sure how long it's even in his mouth. When I check on him before I go to bed it's usually laying beside him. I thought the hole would cause him to lose interest in it and he would give it up on his own. Instead I think he's developing a new addiction.

For now, I'll say I'm breaking him of it.

2 comments:

  1. i laughed as i read your post, but soooo understand the aftermath of taking something away from a toddler. hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As crazy as it may sound Brooklyn as re-introduced the binky to Jace. And for the first time in his year and a half life he loved it......I made her hide it today.

    ReplyDelete