Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Seattle in a Nutshell

I did something I have not done since I've been married. In fact, I don't think I've ever boarded a plane completely alone.......until last week that is! Amber (sister) and I finally made it out to Seattle to see our brother. We've been talking about it for a few years now and we finally just did it. She flew out of Denver and I flew out of Sacramento.

I can't even begin to tell you how fast I zipped through the lines at the airport. Seriously. Zipped. I patiently waited for a woman who had about 5 trays she was struggling to fill and push through security. But I didn't judge. Even though I only needed 2 trays (I have an extra big purse that requires one all by itself. And extra big feet which requires another all to themselves.) Who am I to get irritated when I am usually lining up 10 different trays and frantically stripping my children of jackets and shoes and backpacks? Who am I to judge when I am usually the one that has backed up the line so badly that strangers start to push trays through for me in hopes to get me out of the way. Nope. Not this time. I breezed through security like it wasn't even there. And then I had an hour and a half until boarding time. Unheard of. An hour and half of uninterrupted daydreaming. Or reading. Or perusing over-priced stores. I sipped my coffee-free vanilla bean frappucino with caramel and whipped cream in peace. And I didn't have to share any. Ahhhhh.

Back to my vacation outside of the airport......we got to Seattle Thursday night and left Monday night. We were able to hit most of the main events, I think. Due to the rain there were a few things we couldn't do and due to my pregnancy there were a few more things we couldn't due (mainly kayaking which I'm not entirely sure I'd want to do anyway.......goes back to my fear of drowning. I can't imagine flipping upside down and being okay with it. Makes me shudder just thinking about it.) So here are some pictures of the things we did and saw.
Stopped here for a little treat......(thank you marshmallows rolled in cookie crisp and chocolate)
This was Snowqualamie Falls. It was awesome even in the rain!
A quick night shot of the Seattle skyline.
A giant starfish I couldn't stop staring at. Bizarre.


Just getting ready to walk downtown Seattle.

Beginning our tour of the city. (There's Amber, leaving me behind. No mercy for pregnant and slow.)



This is Phil's horse, Shelby. We brushed her and played with her. He has another horse, Peach, who is going to have a baby any day now. Amber rode her. I rode another horse named Sport. I didn't post a picture because I look like a giant mushroom riding a horse. No one needs to see that.





After the horses, we treated ourselves to a seafood feast at the Crab Pot.......It was delicious!
(Even though we didn't eat until 8:00. We were city living!)

Overall we had a great time and got to see some fun things. And I had more energy than I thought possible. It's amazing how easy it is to just take care of yourself. I stayed up late and slept in and it was great! I went shopping and did what I wanted. I loved it. But I missed my family and was ready to come home. Thanks Phil for the tour and thanks Ryan, for watching the kids! It was certainly a good bonding experience for everyone ;)

2 comments:

  1. so fun!! i have heard that the crab pot is fantastic. makes me want a vacay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had fun! But you should try kayaking, it's awesome! And if you flip underwater you can kick out, no problem.

    ReplyDelete