Monday, April 19, 2010

School Lock-down

We've had a very 'interesting" day. Definitely not your run of the mill sort of day.

I got a phone call at 10:00 this morning from a friend asking me if I had sent Lexi to school today. Of course, I had. She then proceeded to tell me that there was a "suspicious package" that was found near the school office. Huh? Then she said they were on school lock-down until further notice from the bomb-squad. Bomb squad? Come again? My thoughts started a little fuzzy but then I realized she was forewarning me of my child's potential danger. I wasn't quite sure what to think since I hadn't heard anything from the school. (Never did, either. I guess this is their method of preventing panic.) I decided not to worry too much. After all, people usually err on the side of caution when it comes to schools. Surely, I thought, this will turn out to be the misplaced lunch of one of the kids.

Well, I was wrong.

It was indeed an explosive device. Hello? Did I miss something here? Since when did planting explosives in an elementary school become cool? Anyway, I'm not sure how destructive the explosive would have been but it certainly doesn't excuse anything. So after the initial surprise/shock Ryan talked to our friend who had been working in the classroom for the morning. Apparently this is the THIRD explosive found in Valley Springs this year. What in the world? Thankfully, none of them have been detonated. Oh yeah, and then there's the drive-by shootings that were happening in January. I'm beginning to wonder about my "safe" little foothill town. At any rate I suppose I'll keep my doors locked. Who knows who would wander through the front door? Probably the devil himself....

6 comments:

  1. Wow Heather that is a SCARY call to get! glad everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house across the street is still empty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, that is crazy and super scary!!! Glad nothing bad happened!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is crazy. I am glad they found the package before anything happened. What a crazy world we live in. Glad everything is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lamar's looking better and better isn't it? So the more threats a school gets the less likely it is to call parents. Sounds logical.

    ReplyDelete