Friday, February 26, 2010

Sugar Madness

I need sugar. Bad. In fact, I sat down to write this post and all I can think of is sugar. Caramel brownies, tapioca, chocolate chip cookies.......excuse the drool. And no, I am not pregnant! I don't know why I need sugar. Well, that's a partial lie. It could do with the fact that I am a self-proclaimed addict. That's right people. No denial here. I love sugar. The sweeter the better. Peeps? I can down a whole box without blinking. Natural talent, I guess. (I know there are some of you totally revolted at this point. I still don't know how some people can't share my same love for Peeps. Thank you, Easter.) So anyhow, here I am with no thoughts other than Why did Ryan use the last of my eggs for his ruined breakfast? (He never got around to actually cooking the eggs after cracking them open and scrambling them.) Now I can't concoct any of my heart's desires. If I were truly desperate I would go wake my sleeping baby and load my 3 kids plus the neighbors kid and drive to the store. Tempting. For now I suppose I will have to be satisfied with eating chocolate chips. Not really doing it for me but desperate times call for desperate measures. The forgotten pixie sticks Lexi got from a birthday party aren't making the cut either. I need sugar heroin. I told you. I'm an addict.

On to a different topic.....has anyone out there read a good book???? I just got a new book from the library. I did what I usually do now-a-days. I randomly picked an interesting title and thought the description sounded decent, "The Piano Tuner." Bad choice. I want to poke my eyeballs out. Which would be decidedly less painful than actually reading anymore about Burma. So after page 62, I took my book mark out, closed the book, and set it down. I won't be opening it again. I've only left maybe 3 books unfinished in my life. I always plough through. But not this one. Almost as tedious as "The Worst Hard Time." (A book about my home town and the Dust Bowl. And although it did have some interesting historical facts, I think it could have been wrapped up by page 30. But I am a die hard Hall. I couldn't let Grandma Lu down because it was her book lent to me over a thousand miles away.) So back to my point. I need a good 4 star book. Anyone? Anyone? If you have a good one, let me know! Now back to daydreaming about devil's food cake....

8 comments:

  1. I agree chocolate chips don't cut it when you have that intense need! I've resorted to calling people on their cell phones to see if they were out and could bring me something on their way home! And while peeps don't do it for me the creme filled eggs do!

    Have you read, I Capture the Castle by Dode Smith, that's a good one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the creme filled eggs. I also have resorted to eating the chocolate chips. The best are the chocolate chip- mint chip combo from Nestles. I just read Pope Joan and that was pretty interesting... I've also heard great things about The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the Hunger games as well. It is a trilogy. So addicting!! I read the first book in 2 days and the second, called Catching Fire, in 3! It was great. The third book is coming out in Aug or Sept. The story line sounds like something I did not think I would enjoy. It only took me a few pages to get me involved and not wanting to put it down.

    I am such a sugar freak too. Actually anything with baked goods, so breads, brownies, cupcakes, cookies. I'm not a straight shooter like you, No thanks on the peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of the peeps too, but I like to leave the package open for a couple of days so they're not too soft. :)
    As far as books go, I enjoyed The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls & Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza. They're both memoirs, but good reads. I read the Life of Pi a while back and it was decent, but had some trippy parts. You'll want someone else to read it with you so you can discuss. And there are a couple of series that are just light, easy-reading (Sue Grafton & Janet Evanovich).
    I'm in need of a good book right now too, so I just took everyone else's advice and put The Hunger Games on hold at the library! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously?! I can't believe you're such a sugar freak. And peeps - gag me......ok, whatever, the lies are over. Guess what I just found at target. Sour patch jelly beans. Yep, they're out for Easter and pretty darn good. Anyway, no good books here. No time to read other than book club and they pick the books for me and none of them are "can't put it down."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm into classics, Turn of the Screw by Henry James, The Great Gatsby-Fitzgerald, Anna Karenina-Tolstoy..Read the Lovely bones and it's interesting as is the Time Traveler's Wife. Jodi Piccult has intense stuff started one a while ago and read My Sister's Keeper. I would suggest her for you.

    My reading list you can check out: Heard The Alphabet Sisters is good, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, True Colors, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, The Children's Book. Check out books by Lisa See as well. And I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you must know a neighbor that has an extra egg! i've been making snickerdoodles (i think a cheater version). it's the cheapest, simplest cookie ever:

    1/2 cup shortening
    1 egg
    3/4 cup sugar

    1 1/2 cup flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt

    rolling into balls and then roll into a bowl of 1 tbs sugar 1 tsp cinnamon. flatten dough balls on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

    i'll bring up some books next time we go up to angels camp. usually tracy sends me all of the books she finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am right there with you on the sugar thing, as I am trying not to eat the left over choc. chip cookies from jaren's scouting event yesterday. I am failing miserably and although I feel sick another cookie just tastes so yummy!!!!! Let's not even talk about the easter choc. mini cadbury eggs I just bought. aahhh, why can't carrots or cucumbers taste that good? Well, I really enjoyed the hunger games and it's sequel catching fire. I strongly recommend Sara Prine's These is my words, or silly sally (Clara's favorite) kidding. ok have a good night :P)

    ReplyDelete