Monday, February 8, 2010

One Week and Counting...

Last night marked night 7 of sick and cranky kids....which really only means that I was up about a bazillion times again. We started last Monday night. It's all starting to blur at this point. Lexi came home from school hacking up a lung like the rest of her class. So Monday night I listened to her hack her way to sleep but in actuality I was only up with her once to get her a drink. Kyson was up (I keep saying he's teething but I really mean it this time. His tooth finally peaked through on Saturday. Hallelujah!). Anyway he didn't sleep well so I made Ryan get up couple times with him.

Then on Tuesday night Kendri started coughing. For some reason, whenever Kendri gets a cough, it evolves into croup-like symptoms. So Tuesday night I listened to my three-year old wheezing and struggling for air. By three o'clock I couldn't take it anymore so I told Ryan (BTW, in case you haven't noticed, I am totally using him now that he's around :) to bundle her up and take her outside to try and open up her airway. So he did. Five minutes after he layed her back down she came running into my room and whisper-shouted "Mommy, mommy, mommy! I don't have to (wheezes in an exaggerated breath) force it in! I can breathe easier!" After that she slept and Kyson woke up.

The next day Kendri couldn't stop talking about how much fun it was to go outside with daddy in the middle of the night. She made sure to tell us she "might have to go out again in the night." I told her if it was raining then daddy would just have to take her into the garage. Garage? Her eyes lit up. So that night I listened to her breathing (I put her in the loft right outside our bedroom so I could monitor her) and it sounded a little ragged but better than the previous night. I foolishly thought we might make it through the night. By 1 am, Kendri was in my room telling me she needed to go out to the garage. She gave me a sample breather (which I must say sounded a little a fake, but since I wasn't taking her out I didn't feel the need to validate it. I kicked Ryan and told him she needed to go outside......better safe than sorry. Right? ;)

Anyway, the next morning she totally confessed and told me she tricked daddy into taking her out to the garage.

And so the week continues. Getting up to get medicine, get drinks, get tissue, give hugs, listen to breathing......and now to blow my own nose, cough up my own lung, drink my own water. Just as Kendri was getting better, now Lexi has relapsed and is complaining about her ear. I think all the coughing is waking up Kyson. And I see tooth #2 coming in right behind #1. So I am praying for an uneventful night. Just one. I'll do it again tomorrow but tonight I just want some sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Hope tonight is better for you! Make Ryan get up all the time. Maybe he needs to take you out into the garage! Just so he doesn't get to sleep all thru the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Ryan should just sleep in the garage and you can just send the kids straight down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "give hugs" - you are such a nice mommy nurse. sick kids and no sleep turns me into a crazy woman and hugging is the last thing on my mind!

    ReplyDelete