Sunday, November 29, 2009

Black Friday

It has officially started. Carols, blinking lights, and my personal favorite.....GLITTER! That's right, the Christmas season is here. I kicked off the season by doing something that has been previously categorized as "unknown territory" for me. Black Friday. I've heard about. I've read about it. But I have never attempted to participate in it. And quite frankly, I've never even had the desire to do it. (I know, I know. What's wrong with me?) And I probably wouldn't have done it this year if I had not found out that you could do Black Friday online and Kohl's would kick it off at midnight CST which is 10:00 my time. Most definitely a perk seeing how I pass out around 9:30 every other night. I know my limits and staying up til midnight or waking up at 4:00 am breaks them.

So, I researched and previewed and sneak peaked all week. I even got a special 15 minute head start at Kohls. I was online 30 minutes early just in case I might miss something. Amber and I called each other back and forth with different game plans. We would be professional shoppers for one night and we would get deals that would blow our minds. Or so we thought. At exactly 11:45 CST I was allowed into "special" areas and given great deals. I zipped around Kohls website at breathtaking speed and rapidly filled my cart with things I needed and things I didn't. After all, these deals would never come around again. Right?

Anyhoo, I had a blissful 15 minutes and imagined Christmas being done at half the cost. And then midnight hit. (Remember, it was only 10:00 for me) The website suddenly got slow. Too slow. And then I started spending 15 minutes just trying to get from one page to the next. At 10:45 I couldn't take it anymore. I went to Amazon and found 3 GREAT deals on Christmas presents for the girls. We're talking 50% off. And free shipping. And the website was not overloaded in the least. I went to bed on some sort of "high". It must have been the frantic shopping and suspense of, "will I get it in time?" Whatever it was, it had me a little jittery while I was trying to sleep. So, that was my Black Friday experience. But not Ryan's.

He woke up at 3:00 am and made the trek to Kohls for me. It's about 45 minutes away. (I know. What a good husband I have! For the record, he likes to shop and it really was fun for him. Not torturous like it would be for other husbands:) He actually went to Kohls, Target, and Walmart. He got most of the things that we had tried to get online before the site crashed. So now the majority of Christmas shopping is done before December is even here. This is unknown to us. We're usually last minute shoppers. But not anymore. Black Friday is now welcome in our home.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! You're sloly joining the ranks! =) ANd check Ryan out...Josh would rather die than go to a store at 3am! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops...I spelled "slowly" wrong. Also forgot to say how much I love your cute new pictures in the sidebar!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys found all of your goodies! I did Black Friday this year too and was one of the crazies in line at Kohls @ 4 am. Then it was off to Sears & Walmart and home before 7am (just in time for TC to head to work)! Darn kids are just too fun to spoil, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete