Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cherry Pickin'

This past Monday we were able to have a fun Family Home Evening. There's a family in our ward that has cherry trees. They told us we could come out and pick to our hearts content. So we did just that! We picked 2 1/2 buckets full. And can you believe we didn't even make a dent in their cherry supply. So I've been busy pitting cherries and freezing them. I thought about canning but then decided that was a little ambitious for me. Pitting cherries is enough.

The kids had a great time. They threw bread to the chickens. Lexi got pecked by a hen. Kendri was chased by about 5 chickens. Apparently chickens are not patient. She couldn't tear the bread apart fast enough. So she resorted to some weird "run and toss" method. She was chucking bread pieces over her shoulder with super-human speed. With a slightly panicked look, I might add.

The girls also got to search the hen house for eggs. They managed to find a dozen fresh eggs that came home with us. They were amazed at how you could lift up a hen and find 3 or 4 eggs sitting there. Just like Easter. I must admit that I thought it was fun too! While we were busy hunting eggs, Kyson was busy finding all the cherries that dropped to the ground. He was desperately trying to shove them in his mouth before I could catch him. He LOVES cherries. (I usually just bite off half and give him the half without the pit.) After all the cherry picking we went and collected some blueberries. Yes, blueberries. Did you think it couldn't get any better? We already ate most of them. Ryan did put some in the freezer for safe keeping but I think we should've just eaten them fresh. They wouldn't have lasted long, that's for sure ;) We came home happy, tired, and STICKY!

No comments:

Post a Comment