Saturday, May 22, 2010

Wanna know what I've been up to?

I know. A little disturbing. But allergy season calls for desperate measures.

And desperate measures I took. My first attempt at nasal rinsing gave me a hideous flashback to my brief stay in Hawaii. Bear with me while I reminisce for a minute....

If you had been there you would've first seen me bravely frolicking in the rather large waves. Then you would've seen a huge wave come crashing over me. You would've laughed and then seen me gulp some air before a second huge wave gleefully picked me up and then threw me down without remorse. You probaby would've started to get bored by the time the 4th and 5th wave hit. And then you would've started to wonder how many people drown a mere 5 feet from shore. Because that's what was happening. Or so I thought.

I thankfully was able to have just enough time for a quick gasp of air before being pummeled mercilessly each time. I was much too prideful to call for help. (But then again, there were only a few people around and probably the only who would've come for me was Amber. And her swimming skills are much like my own. Instead of being a rescue mission it would've turned into some weird Romeo and Juliet fiasco.) At any rate, I managed to finally claw my way to shore where I laid down heaving and gagging on salt water. Just conscious enough to wonder if anyone noticed my near-death experience. Maybe I could convince them I was just enjoying a little body surfing.

But let's get back to nasal rinsing.......

The first go literally had me choking and feeling like I just face-planted on the wakeboard (or "frolicking" in waves). I wasn't really sure if I was cut out for this ancient form of cleansing. But then I remembered my nose. Red and raw from constantly blowing and sneezing for 2 weeks straight regardless of the allery pills I'd been popping religiously every 2 hours.....a-hem, I mean 4 to 6 hours. And I also thought I would really rather use my hard earned money for something other than a bulk supply of allergy tablets. So I kept at it. And I must say that it has helped quite a bit. Morning and night for the past week and I feel pretty good. My nose is still red but I haven't been using allergy medicine all that much (I thought it might be wise to detox). And May is my worst time of year for allergies. I figure if I can stick it out for another few weeks I'll be in the clear. So my final verdict? Try it. I dare you.

2 comments:

  1. I totally use that too, to prevent sinus infections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome for the tidbit - and the flashback. Now let's talk about how this nasal rinse is in no way helping my hacking cough. Even with the drugs the dr. prescribed me......neutropenia strikes again.

    ReplyDelete