Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ryan's New Baby....ohhh, isn't it cute?

Does anyone want to know what this is a picture of? Come on.....you know what that looks like. I'll give you a hint.....think orange and spooky. Yep, a pumpkin.

Not just any pumpkin mind you. This "little" guy is a mere 3 weeks old. THREE WEEKS old. I don't know if you can really get a feel for the size....maybe you can see my hand at the edge of the picture. Not grotesquely huge by any means....yet. Now for those of you who aren't in the pumpkin raising field, let me tell you a little something. There are still, oh, 8 weeks left till Halloween. That means there are 8 weeks left to water and care for and GROW. We have a massive pumpkin. Our last "massive" pumpkin was this size at the end of October. Meaning it was full grown and orange and not going to get any bigger and it was still the biggest in the neighborhood.

But alas, this is no surprise to us. My husband is crazy. He planted this seed knowing full well that what he was planting was not your typical pumpkin. The seed came from some giant contest winning pumpkin. The average size for the pumpkins coming from these seeds is only 500 pounds. (Did I mention my husband is crazy?? Just making sure because I've also caught him feeding his "baby" plant food on a consistent basis just to make sure it grows enormous)

So, now we have a giant pumpkin growing. Where do you ask? Maybe in the back yard where we can care for it in the privacy of our own home. Oh, no. Smack dab in the front of my house. Because what would we do if our pumpkin really did grow to 500 pounds? How would we ever move a gigantic pumpkin to the front of the house for Halloween? Well, I can tell you I sure wasn't going to be picking up that sucker. So Ryan decided the only option was to disregard our Home Owner's Association and plant it in prime view (meaning right where the whole world can watch the freakish plant grow.) So far no complaints from the neighbors. I'm guessing maybe around the 200 pound mark we may start hearing from some. I can't very well hide it. I'm not really sure what it weighs right now but I do know that it isn't unusual for these things to grow 6 pounds a day. Yep, folks you read that right. 6 whoppin' pounds a day. And I thought puppies grew fast.

2 comments:

  1. I think that might be the coolest thing Ryan's ever done. Who's going to carve it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it in another month. You will have to move just to get away from the beast.

    ReplyDelete